The journey itself is quite pleasant, and of course it is lovely to catch up with family.
We chatted, put the world to rights, had a wander around his garden, had tea and cake and watched the football.
In the evening we walked down the long, endless road, with a lovely sunset to view.
We arrived at our B+B, which we hadn't stayed at before, but was perfectly adequate for our needs.
We had a great choice for breakfast in the morning, in the lovely breakfast room, which set us up perfectly for the day ahead.
We wanted to go to see the Sand Sculptures, as we normally do, as it is the most fantastic exhibition.
Every year they have a different theme, and this years was Hollywood....
These are huge, magnificent, sculptures which has a basic wooden frame, and the rest is just built up with sand.
As the weather has been good this summer, they were able to continue making and building, where as they usual have to make repairs from the elements they have endured.
We watched as a lady was making a small 'Mike Wazowski' from Monsters Inc, and it showed how slow and delicate the process was. Spraying the sand with water to make it more managable, and lightly scraping the sand away, tiny amounts at a time, to make the shape. Scrape too much away and you cant put it back on again!
My favourites had to be the 'Up' sculpture and of course Sid the Sloth...
For lunch, we went down the traditional route of 'Fish and Chips' by the beach
and then we finished off the day with fun on the pier
Although it was only a couple of days, it was lovely to escape and to have a change of scenery to refresh the batteries.
Craftwise, it has been a very frustrating week. I'm still persisting with my star in a square, but not making much headway.
I went back to the original star/square, and used the colours from my new stash that I intend to use. Firstly, I felt the star look too snowflake-like in the cream, and secondly I could still not get past the fact that I think it's too open.
I tried again and forgot I was doing a square, and went into a pentagon.
But today finally I think I'm getting there, as this time I worked into every stitch around the star edge.
I did wing it, and go by eye, so it isn't perfect, the square is a little wobbly and uneven, but at least I have something to work from now, and just need to count and plan ( something i'm not used to ) to get the sides equal
Hopefully this will be the last version as its been a long and frustrating two weeks of doing and redoing, i'm looking forward to be able to just crack on with making...
Any feedback regarding the cream, dark red and grey for the autumnal colours would be grateful.